Have you ever taken those magazine quizzes that tell you what kind of food cravings you go for? You know, salty, sweet, crunchy, creamy… how am I always all of them??? What does that mean!? I’m gonna go with it means that I love food and I don’t discriminate 😀
I’m a lover, people.
Because I love all food, but I also love to feed my body healthy things IT loves, I have come up with some pretty sneaky tricks and tips to satisfy my salty, sweet, crunchy, creamy cravings…yes, sometimes I have all of them at once.
Hummus has become my best friend and my go-to when a creamy craving hits.
- Hummus’s mix of protein and fiber keeps us fuller longer and may also contribute to weight loss.
- The fiber in hummus keeps blood sugar levels steady which helps fight hunger cravings.
- Hummus also contains a nice bit of iron which is a known energy booster (so, you may be motivated to hit the gym. Bonus!)
And here’s a benefit that I didn’t know about:
- hummus contains omega 3’s which are good for your brain and also your mood, so you will be twice as happy because you are eating something delicious and it’s making you happier as you eat it!
Even though I adore hummus, it can get pretty boring as a plain ol’ veggie or chip dip, which is why I’m going to share with you my all time favorite ways to use hummus, no veggie stick or tortilla chip required.
Salad Dressing: I’ve been making this two-ingredient salad dressing since high school and I still love it. Super simple, (what’s more simple then two ingredients!?) creamy, quick and delicious. I feel silly even calling this a recipe, but here ya go…
Two-Ingredient Salad Dressing
Makes 1 serving
2 tbsp hummus
1 tbsp balsamic
Mix together. Pour on salad.
Deviled Eggs: I can’t take credit for this one. My sweet, brilliant boyfriend came up with these when I needed a quick, healthy snack to take with me to work and I wasn’t excited about the mayo in traditional deviled eggs. He suggested hummus to replace the mayo and some sriracha for a spicy kick. They were phenomenal! True story: I packed up the ones in the photo for tomorrow’s afternoon work snack
Secret Ingredient Sriracha Deviled Eggs
Makes 6 deviled eggs
3 organic eggs
2 tbsp hummus
1/2 tsp sriracha
cilantro garnish (optional)
Fill a small pot with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Carefully add eggs to the pot and boil for 8 minutes. Cool and peel eggs. Cut in half and scoop out yolks, saving 2 halves. In a small bowl mash yolks, hummus and sriracha with a fork until smooth. Add a tsp of water at a time if mixture is too thick. Spoon mixture into eggs, top with cilantro leaves and serve.
Now that’s a real recipe.
Some other uses for hummus:
- As a creamy pasta sauce. I’ll post a recipe soon, but I usually just make it up as I go. Some lemon juice, chili flakes and nutritional yeast usually make it into the bowl.
- As a sandwich/bagel spread
- In scrambled eggs
- In chicken/tuna salad instead of mayo
Hummus is amazing.
Do you crave salty, sweet, crunchy or creamy. All of them like me?
Do you have a favorite way to eat hummus?
What are some healthy snacks you like to pack for work?
With so much love,